DIM SUM WARRIORS is a critically-acclaimed bilingual iPad app and graphic novel series from Yumcha Studios!
What happens when you mix delicious Chinese delicacies (点心 dim sum, or dianxin) with sensational Chinese martial arts adventures (武侠 wuxia)? You get the 点心侠 (dian xin xia) or Dim Sum Warriors, of course!
The Dim Sum Warriors have defended the Xiaochi Empire for generations and the very mention of their name makes their enemies quiver like silken tofu! But something sinister is brewing in the peaceful kingdom that will soon pit the four Dim Sum Warrior clans – the Fried Kung Academy, the Boiled Kung Temple, the Baked Kung Sisterhood and the School of Steam Kung – against each other. Will even their legendary skill and bravery be able to overcome the forces of intrigue and suspicion, and a shadowy enemy whose tentacles are everywhere? The fate of the Empire may well rest in the hands of a group of young fighters – but they have so much to learn, and so little time to learn it…
PRAISE FOR DIM SUM WARRIORS
- “I can personally say that it was a delight to read, with a cliffhanger ending that left me yearning for more.” – Stergios Botzakis, Graphic Novel Resources
- “Sodding brilliant!” – Chris Claremont, legendary writer, Uncanny X-Men
- “The best Sino-American mashup since the fortune cookie!” – Matthew Polly, national bestselling author, American Shaolin and Tapped Out
- “What a great app! My kids and I loved tapping the interactive word balloons and switching back and forth between the languages!” – Gene Luen Yang, National Book Award nominee & Eisner Award-winning writer, American Born Chinese, Boxers & Saints, Level up and Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Promise
- “… it’s hilarious….The creativity and ingenuity of Dim Sum Warriors is matched only by its market potential. It not only has the usual entertainment reach of a kid-oriented manga title, it has built-in value for parents and educators around the world, particularly overseas Chinese in English-speaking countries who want their kids to benefit from mastering the world’s two most widely-spoken languages.” – Rob Salkowitz, Futurist, Business Analyst, Author, Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture, Young World Rising
- “Dim Sum Warriors is an outstanding application of digital technology, as an artform and a teaching tool.” – Ana Visneski, Flip the Media: At the Crossroads of Media, Culture, and Technology
- “The satirical humor carries over in Dim Sum Warriors, with punning chapter titles like “You win some, you dim sum” and parodies of steroids like “InnerStrength,” a health elixir and energy drink that makes the warriors in Colonel Quickynoodle’s Fried Kung Academy look like body builders. The name Quickynoodle itself is a comment on instant ramen and genetically engineered foods.” – Olivia Waxman, “New York Comic Con: Dim Sum Warriors iPad Comic GIves a Taste of Chinese Culture“, Time Magazine’s Techland
- “This bilingual English-Mandarin digital manga is that rarest of creative triumphs: an educational comic that’s actually fun to read. Developed as an iPad app to teach language skills to kids (co-creator Yen Yen Woo is a professor of education at Long Island University), Dim Sum Warriors puts story and characters first, while maximizing the interactive potential of the iPad as a learning platform.” – “The 10 Coolest Original Comics of 2012”, Fast Company
- “With Lee’s delightful illustrations and Goh and Woo’s engaging narrative, the characters could have been ingredients in a Waldorf salad and still been interesting.”
– Publishers Weekly, “Dim Sum Warriors Vol. 1: Enter the Dumpling”
When three young dumplings meet an evil pot of instant ramen, expect a feast of fury! The Dim Sum Warriors – the very mention of their name makes their enemies quiver like tofu! But can their legendary skill overcome a shadowy enemy whose tentacles are everywhere?
The Dim Sum Warriors have defended the Xiaochi Empire for generations and the very mention of their name makes their enemies quiver like silken tofu! But something sinister is brewing in the peaceful kingdom that will soon pit the four Dim Sum Warrior clans—the Fried Kung Academy, the Boiled Kung Temple, the Baked Kung Sisterhood and the School of Steam Kung—against each other. Will even their legendary skill and bravery be able to overcome the forces of intrigue and suspicion, and a shadowy enemy whose tentacles are everywhere? The fate of the Empire may well rest in the hands of an unlikely trio of youngsters: pampered heir to the throne Prince Roastpork Bao, and market peddlers Xiajiao and Shaomai.
The slippery Colonel Quickynoodle has convinced Emperor Redbean Bao to enroll his pampered son Prince Roastpork ‘Porky’ Bao in the Fried Kung Academy, the most prestigious Dim Sum Warrior school, for “toughening up”. But Porky suspects the Colonel of having ulterior motives, and runs away from the Palace instead. He chooses to hide with his newfound friends, Xiajiao and Shaomai, at the School of Steam Kung, much to the alarm of its principal, Master Phoenix Claw. But when the Fried Kung Academy tracks Porky down, a chain of disastrous events is triggered, resulting in the destruction of the centuries-old School of Steam Kung, as well as a coup against the Emperor and Empress by Quickynoodle. The mysteries, however, keep piling up: Who is really behind the plot to usurp the Empire? Why is the School’s cook, Auntie Stickyrice, pretending to be a dotty old lady when she’s really a combat expert? And just what is lurking in a giant pressure cooker located far beneath Dim Sum City?
Colonel Quickynoodle turns up the heat with his attacks on every Dim Sum Warrior school. But what secrets are hidden within the austere confines of the Boiled Kung Temple? And just what happened to Xiajiao and Shaomai’s parents?